Thank you to our Sponsors
The Symposium Video Presentations can be found on the members only page
Mental Health and Guardianship Issues
8:30-9:00 Check In
9:00-10:30 Welcome and Introduction by Linda Rizzi, NCG, MPA
President of the NMGA
Beyond Cognition: Guardianship for Functional Incapacity
Keynote Speaker: Cynthia Geppert, M.D., MA, Ph.D., MPH, FAPM, DAAPMMD,
Psychiatrist and Ethicist, specializing in capacity assessments; VAMC
10:45-11:45 Panel Discussion:
Ethics of Guardianship: Balancing Civil Liberties with Effective Treatment
Moderator = Mary Galvez, MA, CMC, NCG
Brendan Gould , B.A. Mental Health Treatment Guardian
Nancy Koenigsberg, MSW, JD, Legal Director, DRNM
Dr. Geppert, MD, VA
Kimmie Jordan, CPRP, LADC, LAMFT, CLC, President of NAMI
Break- Out Sessions
Presentations in each Session are considered
1. Professional Track
2. Legal Track
3. Family Track
1:00-2:00 Session One
1. A System of Care for the Mentally Ill – Albuquerque’s Challenge
Presenter: Paul Hopkins, D.Min, Psychotherapist, Past President & CEO of Samaritan
Counseling Center. Member of the Mental Health Task Force for the Greater Albuquerque Chamber of Conference.
2. PTSD And Veterans, When A Guardian Or Conservator May Be Needed
Presenter: Jennifer Klosterman Rielage, PhD, Staff Clinical Psychologist at NM VA
Health Care System
3. Mental Illness 101: Major Forms and Diagnoses
Presenter: Jean Keim, PhD., Licensed Psychologist with Advanced Board Certification,
tenured professor at UNM.
2:15-3:15 Session Two
1. The New Mexico Behavioral Health Institute and Its role in the State Mental Health System
Presenter: Gerald Russell, PhD, President of Medical Staff/ Division Director/ Clinical
Neuropsychologist; New Mexico Behavioral Health Institute
2. The NM Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Code- the State Statute- How the Mental Health Code Collides with Probate.
Presenter: Nancy Koenigsberg, MSW, JD, Legal Director of Disability Rights New Mexico
3. After the Order: Annual Reports, Ten Year Reviews and Successor Guardians
Presenter: Amanda Frazier, JD, PQ Special Master, Second Judicial District Court
3:30-4:30 Session Three
1. Co-Occurring Psychiatric Diagnoses in People with Developmental and/or Intellectual Disabilities
Presenter: Jason Buckles, MA, LPCC, Clinical Director of the Bureau of Behavioral Supports,
NM Department of Health.
2. Alternatives to Guardianship and Psychiatric Advance Directives
Presenters: Tim Gardner, JD, MSW Disability Rights New Mexico and
Miguel Chavez, MSW, Senior Advocate for Disability Rights New Mexico, NMBHI.
3. The Intersection of Mental Illness and Dementia
Presenter: Erika Johnson-Jimenez, MSW, PhD, Clinical Psychologist with the Home Based
Primary Care (HBPC) and Caregiver Support Programs at the Albuquerque VA.
Thank you to the Symposium Committee who are all working very hard to ensure that this year’s symposium is the best ever!
Lee Ann McIntyre
2015 5th Annual Symposium
The Elephant in the Room
(Caring About the Invisible in Society)
2014 Symposium Testimonials